Kohal is an adda of amateur musicians. Kohal transcends all conventional boundaries of music and aims at entertaining people with any and evey genre of music known to and enjoyed by the members.
The origin of Kohal dates back to mid-nineties when a few of us, Anandaroop aka Goopi, Manu Verghese, Subhashish Satapathy aka Satu, Ashwin Kamath aka Bachcha, Debashish Sarkar, myself and few others, all staying in RK Hall in IIT KGP had come together to win back the Inter Hall Eastern Music Competition from Nehru Hall!! That was, most probably in ’94, in my 3rd year. Not to mention that we’d won the inter Hall event, reviving the lost glory of RK Hall in excellence in music. This gave us the opportunity to perform in the innauguration of 1995 Spring Fest. The enthusiasm was further increased when, in a short while, we all became part of the Eastern TMS (Technology Music Society), the official Music Band of IIT KGP. Subsequently for the next many years RK Hall remained the seat for Eastern TMS. We’re joined by Kanishka aka Molu, Dilip aka Fish, Ranjita aka Bhags and few more people in July 95. We brought drastic changes in the format of the TMS shows. He proved to the people that good music doesn’t have any genre or age or class. We performed our signature numbers ranging from semi-classical, fusion, folk, old and new songs and even Bengali songs to packed Netaji Auditorium. I graduated in 96, Goopi in 97, Molu & Bhags in 98, Fish in 99, but the tradition of good genre-less music continued in RK Hall and Eastern TMS for quite some time.
I settled in Bangalore, Goopi went to Boulder in Colorado and Molu & Bhags to University of California at San Diego, California for their higher studies. We’re always in touch. But we never got a chance to perform together again till 2007. Goopi moved to Bangalore in 2004 and Molu & Bhags, by then already married to themselves, in 2007. In all these years we’d always aspired to perform together and revive our TMS. Very soon after Molu & Bhags had moved to Bangalore we started discussions about our plan to put up a performance. The opportunity came very soon. We’re given a prime slot to perform in the Durga Puja organized by Sarathi in Koramangala in 2007. Just before the performance, when the posters for the programs were being printed, we figured out that there has to be a name for our band. That’s when I came up with the name Kohal, which is the name of a very uncommon Raaga in Hindustaani Classical Music. The name is attractive, sounds good, is very unique and also related to music. The uncommon name did arouse some curiosity among the audience, something very good for the marketing of the name!!
- Dil Hai Chhotasa, 2007 https://youtu.be/XKft3XO77DI
- Mou Bone Aaj Mu Jomechhe (2007): https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Na Jaane Kyun, 2008 https://youtu.be/V25yyz-agdA?
- Ajeeb Dastan Hai, 2009 https://youtu.be/N1K7xYR_mBs
- Aye Dil Hain Mushkil, 2009 https://youtu.be/U0LEY-eNVJ4
- Sohosa Ele (2009): https://youtu.be/hJXMF_nyw68?
- Rubaru (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Amar Nishitho Raater Badol Dhara (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Jokhon Nirobe Dure (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Iktara, 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Dil Hai Chhotasa, 2010 https://youtu.be/JeZmFk87CdQ?
- Aap Ke Haseen Rukh (2010): https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Lakho Hain Yahan Dilwale, 2010 https://youtu.be/O2bhTM1qH6c?
- O Sajna Barkha Bahar Ayi, 2010 https://youtu.be/6q8ZaOexpUw?
- Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyaar (2010): https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Lag Ja Gale & Sach Mere Yaar Hai, 2011 https://youtu.be/cK59MHmEZAs?
- Senorita, 2011 https://youtu.be/Q37K3PYW6K4
- Sam Gachchhadhvam Sam Vadadhvam (2011): https://youtu.be/AaNDLjizBMo?
- Itti Si Haasi & Malaika, 2012 https://youtu.be/XNeMKsAEPH4?
- Kahin Dur Jab & Pukarta Chala Hoon Main (2012): https://youtu.be/XNeMKsAEPH4?
- Nora Jones (Mou), 2014 https://youtu.be/KhAUejKC-xo?
- Ahoraho Tabo Ahoban, 2015 https://youtu.be/5YoSqPEHcqw
- Dum Dum Mast Kalandar, 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Sanwara, 2016: https://youtu.be/lapAaNilw0Q